Fix it for me!

cym13 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 31 06:56:32 PST 2017

On Tuesday, 31 January 2017 at 13:11:22 UTC, Profile Anaysis
wrote:
> The web interface could use a little work!
>
> 1. Tabs - I know that tabs are designed to move to different
> elements but you can override the default behavior and make
> life quite a bit easier for most people(since most people have
> access to a mouse).
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3362/capturing-tab-key-in-text-box

Agreed as tabs are useful for code snippets and people not using
a mouse (like myself) don't use tab to navigate anyway.

> 2. When sending a thread, the page is refreshed and if it
> doesn't met the requirements, it requires input.
>
> Instead, put some elements on the page, a few buttons that say
> things like "fix me" which will reduce the quote like it
> normally does, but does not require a page reload(which can be
> a few seconds sometimes and sometimes the site goes down in the
> middle).

Why not, there is value in this.

> Also, the captcha could be added the first time if it is
> required instead of requiring another page load for it to pop
> up.

I don't want to spend my life solving captchas, the current
system is good enough as it is.

> 3. D code highlighting!
>
> Since this is a D coding forum and a lot of code is posted, it
> would be nice to have highlighting for it.
>
> simply put:
>
> any time a [Code] and [/Code] blocks are used(or whatever) the
> text between them is treated as D code and highlight and auto
> formated!
>
> e.g.,
>
> [Code]
> import std.stdio;
>
> void main()
> {
>    test
> }
> [/Code]
>

> would show up properly as formatted code. It would not add much
> overhead and isn't ugly for non-compliant viewers.
>

> Along with that, an [Img]url[/Img] could be added
>
> [Url]http://forum.dlang.org/newpost/general[/Url]
>
> etc..
>
> Adding a button to disable these "features" would allow users
> to op-out.

That's not really the issue, the thing is this is not a forum, or
not only. It's actually an interface to a mailing list and many
people only use the mail so that provides only noise for them and
specific formatting would have to be applied when displaying the
message through the web interface... Not impossible of course but
it's work.

> Improving the quality of the forum and bringing it in to the
> modern era would be nice and this type of thing is a step in
> the right direction without requiring much work. (Seems it
> would just require someone spending the time to add a bit of JS
> code)
>

> Oh, and this post: "Your post contains a suspicious keyword or
> character sequence. Please solve a CAPTCHA to continue."
>
> Did I say a nasty word somewhere? Is someone gonna wash my
> mouth out with soap?
>
> Also, If I get the captcha and get the answer wrong, I get a
> loop:
>
> Your last post was less than 15 seconds ago. Please wait a few
> seconds before trying again.
>
> Can't do anything but wait ;/ This punishes the law abiding
> citizens of dlang.org and wastes at least 15 seconds of their
> life for no reason and one still has to try a new captcha(even
> if the previous one was valid).

No, it doesn't punish the law abiding citizens, it punishes very
lightly the fools who couldn't solve a captcha designed to be
straigth forward. Just get it right dude, the captcha is there
for a reason.

> Seems like if one does a valid captcha it should reset and
> allow the next post to go through without issue.

If that post you just wrote had be reset because of a typo in the
captcha you would have lost way more than 15s of work to type it
back from memory. The system is good as it is.