regressions

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 2 07:27:03 PDT 2017

On Friday, 30 June 2017 at 12:48:12 UTC, Martin Krejcirik wrote:
> DMD, Phobos and Druntime open regressions over time:
>
> http://bid.iline.cz/~mk/tmp/regs.png
>
> Used to be stable, but seems to be getting worse since 2016.

One thing that might have contributed to that is that until a
year or two ago, we weren't really checking whether filed bugs
were regressions. As it turns out, a good deal of the time when
someone runs into a bug, they don't even realize that it's some
behaviour that used to work previously. This is why you will
occasionally see recently-filed bugs that are marked as
regressions in very old versions, likely older than since the
submitter started using D.

Knowing whether a bug is a regression is useful because then you
can track down the change that caused it, and it's often much
easier to find the bug in a small diff and fix it. The downside
is that it makes the meaning of the "regression" severity less
useful when tracking how many of those issues actually broke
someone's code (that we know about), which is why the regressing
version is prefixed in issue summaries.