Building DMD on OpenBSD

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 16 12:47:20 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 19:00:32 UTC, Anonymous wrote:
> I did some googling (well, duckduckgoing) and found a few posts
> on this forum indicating that this could work. So I gave it a
> try and followed https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_under_Posix
> The build failed because src/posix.mak in the dmd repo was
> trying to download
> http://downloads.dlang.org/releases/2.x/2.072.2/dmd.2.072.2.openbsd.tar.xz which doesn't exist. What do I do now?
>
> OTOH it's a good thing that the build failed. When I saw
> http:// instead of https:// in the console output I went to
> check what the makefile was doing and - wait for it - it was
> trying to download an executable from the internet and run it.
> I couldn't believe my eyes. I mean, you sure can use an
> unencrypted channel but then you need some kind of
> cryptographic signature to verify the downloaded file. I tried
> the above with 2.074.1 (the latest stable) but the trunk
> version has this too.

Auto-bootstrapping is __only__ used if no host compiler is found
on the system.
This should only happen on esoteric platforms (not intended as an
offense) like yours.
There are usually plenty of ways to get your host compiler safely:

http://dlang.org/download.html

The simplest one on a Posix system is:

curl -fsS https://dlang.org/install.sh | bash -s dmd

If you have GPG, it will verify the integrity of the downloaded
archive.

In any case, I submitted a PR to use SSL for AUTO_BOOSTRAP:

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/7000