D easily overlooked?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 24 05:47:43 PDT 2017

On Monday, 24 July 2017 at 11:28:51 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> I had assumed D was designed to be a GC language from the
> outset.

The D memory model is still in flux and always allowed C-like
memory management. Whereas both Go and Java sacrificed fast C
interfacing from the early days to get proper GC support, so
there is a qualitative difference in the assumptions made in the
language designs.

> It seems that the Go team are using backward compatibility as a
> rod for their own backs just as Java/JDK folk did.

Yes, maybe. Although I guess one strategy would be to allow
library codebases to move along up until say Go 1.12 and get wide
scale feature adoption in Go libraries that are very close to the
2.0 semantics, thus making porting to 2.0 more attractive to
library devs. But some platforms, like App Engine is currently
stuck at Go 1.6 so not sure how Google as a whole thinks about
this.

Interestingly Dart is now moving towards static typing, as many
of the current user Google users expect Java-like static
predictability. So, one thing is what the language designers
want, but maybe Google's own usage will take Go in another
direction as well.