How do you use D?

Anton Fediushin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 28 11:02:31 PDT 2017

On Friday, 28 July 2017 at 14:58:01 UTC, Ali wrote:
> How do you use D?

For personal projects, from low-level system hacking (like
implementing own reference counted struct) to high-level web apps.

> just to learn something new? (I would easily argue that
> learning D will make you a better C++ programmer, maybe not the
> most efficient way, but I a sure it i very effective)

Yup, with D I learned a lot of new programming techniques, like
meta-programming, CTFE, Range-based algorithms etc. I really
enjoy how quickly I can switch between low- and high-level code
without changing the language.
I think this is the main reason why I stayed with D, not with
Go/Rust. They're good programming languages, but they force you
to code in the way they call "idiomatic", not in the way you want
to.
D is a great language, because with all flexibility it has, D
community haven't been splitted like in C++.

> What is you D setup at work, which compiler, which IDE?

Latest DMD, Emacs and DUB. I also have LDC and GDC installed for
testing. DMD compiles stuff faster than other compilers and has
all latest things I need.

> And any other fun facts you may want to share :)

It's a feature (c) Walter Bright, everytime somebody asks about
bugs in D