How do you use D?

Anton Fediushin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 28 12:50:12 PDT 2017

On Friday, 28 July 2017 at 18:48:25 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 07/28/2017 11:02 AM, Anton Fediushin wrote:
>
> > not with Go/Rust.  They're good programming languages
>
> I really don't want to be in a position to diss other languages
> but with some experience, I can tell you that I agree with blog
> posts about Go being a disservice to programmers.[1] It is a
> good language in the sense that you have to dial your
> intellectual self down, accept limitations, and be deaf to
> limitations sold as merits. I can understand "Go is limited
> because it lacks this and that" but I can't agree with "Go is
> great because it lacks this and that." Maybe with a little more
> time I will forget powerful features of other languages and be
> a content Go programmer. :)

"Go is great because it lacks things" is true when somebody comes
from language, which allows too much (Like JavaScript or PHP).

It is more about marketing. Maybe Go is not a perfect language,
maybe not even a good one, but it's sold so good because of a
good marketing

So, calling D a "better C++" is a bad advertisement. But if you
rename it to '<anything>Script', for example "DatScript" and sell
it as "better, statically typed JavaScript dialect which compiles
into fast native executables" it will became #1 language on
GitHub in no time.

> A friend of mine who had left Weka a few months ago has joined
> a startup in the microservices domain. The company uses Go (and
> some Python). My friend looked at Go and then spent some time
> to learn Rust and decided to push D instead for "competitive
> edge." (Not my words! :) ) His argument was, why should we be
> wasting time with other languages. So he is using D to write
> the most critical piece of the product.

Nice!

> > splitted like in C++.
> I must have missed that one. Please tell me more about it or
> give some links to read about it. All I know is there is always
> disagreement on how some new C++ features should be designed.

I am talking about community, not language. C++ community is so
huge that they cannot work together on the language, which leads
to different compilers supporting different features and
different frameworks for same purposes not compatible with each
other. So, instead of making something useful, C++ community
rewrites same code over and over again in the way they think it
should be done.

It happens to new C++ specifications, when some feature got
rejected and one compiler implements it, but others doesn't.