D easily overlooked?

Bienleine via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 29 03:12:55 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 26 July 2017 at 15:55:14 UTC, Wulfklaue wrote:
> On Wednesday, 26 July 2017 at 06:40:22 UTC, Bienlein wrote:
>> D is the most feature rich language I know of. Maybe only
>> Scala comes close, but Scala can be at times an unreadable
>> mess as the designers of the language valued mixing functional
>> and OO higher than readability. D, on the contrary, has a very
>> clean design througout.
>>
>> But you are right. D is missing some unique selling point like
>> ease of concurrency using Communicating Sequential Processes
>> in Go or memory safety in Rust without a GC. This is because D
>> does not have a business model, but seems to be seen as a
>> playground for building the greatest language ever. I fear
>> this will not change. Topics of people arguing that D needs a
>> business case pop up regularly here and are every time mostly
>> or also completely ignored. It does not look like this will
>> change, because the main drivers of the language never drop a
>> comment in those discussions.
>
> I noticed the issues for me is going beyond just the language.
> Its also productivity.
>
> Not going to hide that i switched to Pascal. There are some
> features that are needed in my case, where pascal has been
> kicking D's behind in my personal opinion.
>
> One of those has been frankly community support. Lets say there
> is a issue in D and one posts about it here. If your lucky, in
> a few hours there is a response. Then the response can be
> categorized as:
>
> * Friendly / Useful / Solve issue
> * Useless off-topic responds that does not answer the question
> but focuses on a complaint and ignores the issue.
> * Semi-aggressive answer that indeed solves the issue but one
> feels "intimidated"
>
> I have for a long time have a love / hate relationship with D.
> And the negative feels have  always stemmed from the strange
> community.
>
> Its not just the Pascal community where i feel better, even in
> the Rust / Go community people feel like the have more patience
> or are less judgmental.

I think I understand what you mean. You have to take into account
that D is a pure spare time effort. As such it is an incredible
language. The Go dev team has at least 5 people working on it
full time and have a big big company behind it. Now compare D to
Go and you can see how enormous the achievements of the D people
are given their endowment situation to the one of the Go team.

To me D is a great language and tool to create things in my spare
time. It is also a great toll for university people that work on
some research stuff. Developing commercial things with D is a
different thing. You can still do this, but then you need to be
aware that D cannot have the same rigour as some tool with a big
company or a big industry behind it.