How do you use D?

Danni Coy via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 29 16:20:59 PDT 2017

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 12:58 AM, Ali via Digitalmars-d <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> While the Orgs using D page is very nice ... I hoping to hear more
> personal stories ...
>
> So
>
> How do you use D

In work, (key projects or smaller side projects)

As a replacement for Python for automating tasks (I was already using
python because I suck at shell scripting), D's main advantage here is that
I can compile a binary that will run on the target computer without having
to install any dependencies. The most important thing to note here is that
I haven't come accross any serious downsides to using D instead of python.

> in your side project, (github, links please)

https://github.com/kayosiii/subterrainian is my current side project. It is
moving slowly as I tend to work on other things when I get into a place
where I can either wait for features to be implemented or do a lot of extra
work. Most recently this was getting iAllocator working in @nogc code.

> just to learn something new? (I would easily argue that learning D will
> make you a better C++ programmer, maybe not the most efficient way, but I a
> sure it i very effective)

Initially i picked up Andrei's book because it looked interesting and found
that D was closer to what I wanted than anything else out there. Generally
I learn languages when they are the easiest way to get a task done D and
Perl are the only two I have learned for 'fun'.

Did you introduce D to your work place? How? What challenges did you face?

Until recently I was the only coder at my workplace. I would probably use D
more if there were more game engines that intergrated D.

What is you D setup at work, which compiler, which IDE?

Currently tooling is my least favourite aspect of using D. I am finding
vscode with the D extension that intergrates Dub the least bad solution.

And any other fun facts you may want to share :)