The progress of D since 2013

Maxim Fomin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 31 00:22:06 PDT 2017

Hi!

Good to see D is progressing! I was active forum and bugzilla
participant in 2011-2013. Since then I have not touched D.

What is the progress of D (2014-2017) in following dimensions:
1) Support of linking in win64? AFAIK Walter introduced win64
support in circa 2012 which was the big progress. However,
support for win64 linking was limited because dmd defaulted on
old dmc linker, and Walter didn't plan to do anything with this.
2) What is the support of other platforms? AFAIK there was
progress on Android. From my memory recollections, the full
support of Android was expected at that time.
3) What is the state of GC? AFAIK there were some improvements
for GC sent as GSOC projects but they were not added in 2013. I
see in the changelog that there are some improvements in speed
and configuration support was added.
4) What is the state of GDC/LDC? GDC team was actively working on
including gdc in gcc project. Do gdc and ldc still pull D
frontend, so there is essentially 1 frontend (where gdc and ldc
frontends lag several versions behind) + 3 backends? I see in the
changelog some dmd backend improvements. How the dmd backend is
compared with C++/GDC/LDC? AFAIK in 2013 there was a tradeoff:
either you use dmd with brand-new frontend or gdc/ldc where
performance is comparable to gcc, but frontend lags behind. Is it
still true?
5) What is the progress with CTFE? I see a lot of discussions in
forum archive devoted to the development of CTFE. What is the
summary of CTFE development in recent years?
6) I don't see any significant changes in D core from dlang
documentation (except those mentioned in changelog for
2014-2017). Is is true or is the official spec as usual delayed
:)? Is dlang spec fully and frequently updated or is it sparse as
in the past? Is TDPL book still relevant?
7) Is UDA still compile-time? Are there plans to make it also
runtime?
8) What is the progress with shared and immutable? AFAIK the
compiler support for shared was not complete and Phobos library
itself was not 'immutable-' and 'shared-correct'.
9) Does D gains popularity?
10) Anything else 2013 D user must know? :) I don't ask about
Phobos because according to the changelog the progress is
enormous, incremential and targets several directions - I doubt
it can be easily summarised...

Thanks!