The progress of D since 2013

rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 31 00:27:44 PDT 2017

On 31/07/2017 8:22 AM, Maxim Fomin wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Good to see D is progressing! I was active forum and bugzilla
> participant in 2011-2013. Since then I have not touched D.
>
> What is the progress of D (2014-2017) in following dimensions:
> 1) Support of linking in win64? AFAIK Walter introduced win64 support in
> circa 2012 which was the big progress. However, support for win64
> linking was limited because dmd defaulted on old dmc linker, and Walter
> didn't plan to do anything with this.

Optlink is still the default. MSVC link can be used for both 32bit and
64bit.

> 2) What is the support of other platforms? AFAIK there was progress on
> Android. From my memory recollections, the full support of Android was
> expected at that time.
> 3) What is the state of GC? AFAIK there were some improvements for GC
> sent as GSOC projects but they were not added in 2013. I see in the
> changelog that there are some improvements in speed and configuration
> support was added.
> 4) What is the state of GDC/LDC? GDC team was actively working on
> including gdc in gcc project. Do gdc and ldc still pull D frontend, so
> there is essentially 1 frontend (where gdc and ldc frontends lag several
> versions behind) + 3 backends? I see in the changelog some dmd backend
> improvements. How the dmd backend is compared with C++/GDC/LDC? AFAIK in
> 2013 there was a tradeoff: either you use dmd with brand-new frontend or
> gdc/ldc where performance is comparable to gcc, but frontend lags
> behind. Is it still true?
> 5) What is the progress with CTFE? I see a lot of discussions in forum
> archive devoted to the development of CTFE. What is the summary of CTFE
> development in recent years?

New implementation by Stefan for the purposes of making it faster and
cheaper.

> 6) I don't see any significant changes in D core from dlang
> documentation (except those mentioned in changelog for 2014-2017). Is is
> true or is the official spec as usual delayed :)? Is dlang spec fully
> and frequently updated or is it sparse as in the past? Is TDPL book
> still relevant?
> 7) Is UDA still compile-time? Are there plans to make it also runtime?

No runtime reflection has been added during this period (unfortunately).

> 8) What is the progress with shared and immutable? AFAIK the compiler
> support for shared was not complete and Phobos library itself was not
> 'immutable-' and 'shared-correct'.
> 9) Does D gains popularity?

Considerably. Downloads for dmd per day.
http://erdani.com/d/downloads.daily.png