Isn't it about time for D3?

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 10 16:53:40 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 10 June 2017 at 23:30:18 UTC, Liam McGillivray wrote:
> D is a language with much promise, but it still has many
> problems that prevent it from being the great replacement for
> C++ that it was always meant to be.
>
> [...]

FYI: There also has been a recent debate about developing a new
version of Phobos
(http://forum.dlang.org/post/volmdaxjihbkpbtplynj@forum.dlang.org) to be able to get rid of auto-decoding, make everything work nicely with @nogc and allocators, fix design issues with ranges, cleanup messy packages (e.g. std.traits), etc.

I think everyone on the forums here agrees about the problems,
it's just not clear what the best course of action is as breaking
changes are costly. Remember that there are still companies using
D1 or Python 2 out there.
OTOH many people representing companies have already vouched here
that they would love to see the annoyances fixed and something
these issues are even blockers for their official D use at work