Makefile experts, unite!

Sebastien Alaiwan via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 11 23:09:53 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 11 June 2017 at 23:47:30 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:

> I had the pleasure of working with Eyal Lotem, main author of
> buildsome. The buildsome team are aware of all pitfalls of all
> build systems and offer build*some* as an awe*some* ;) and
> correct build system:
>
>   http://buildsome.github.io/buildsome/

Very interesting!

The selling points, to me, are:
1) the automatic dependency detection through filesystem hooks
2) recipes also are dependencies
3) the genericity/low-level. I believe build systems should let
me define my own abstractions, instead of trying to define for me
what an "executable" or a "static library" should be.

- Make has 3)
- Ninja has 2), 3)
- tup and buildsome have 1), 2), 3)

However, buildsome also seems to have a (simplified) make-like
syntax.
Why did they have to write it in Haskell, for god's sake!