There really needs to be some moderation

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 18 17:07:29 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 18 June 2017 at 23:45:10 UTC, Mark wrote:
> On Sunday, 18 June 2017 at 20:04:48 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> Also, a lot of this polish is missing because D is an OSS
>> project that doesn't have corporate involvement driving it.
>> No pure OSS project without heavy corporate involvement has
>> ever gotten everywhere, you will find corporate hands all over
>> everything from the linux kernel to gcc to Python.  D has
>> some, but not that much yet.  It is amazing how far it has
>> gotten without it.
>
> Why not, really? All due respect to Sociomantic, Weka, etc.,
> but I'm suprised there isn't more coporate interest in the
> language.

Since the complaints here seem largely related to Windows
integration, Sociomantic is only on linux, to the point where
their D stdlib, Ocean, only runs on linux, same as their
concurrent GC.  Weka is doing their own hardware, doubt they're
using Windows on there. ;) I think even Laeeth, whose hedge fund
has sponsored some work like Excel-D, said they don't use Windows
much.

I too am mystified there isn't more corporate backing.  However,
there are always other avenues, like bounties
(https://www.bountysource.com/teams/d/backers), donations to the
D foundation (http://dlang.org/foundation), or private paid work
that's eventually open-sourced, so there are many ways to build D
up.