What is the state of Microcontroller support in d?

Seb via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 20 04:11:20 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 20 June 2017 at 07:51:47 UTC, Mike wrote:
> 3.  Many of the veterans in the D community support the current
> dependency the runtime has on C standard library bindings,
> stating that they are required (which is not true).
> Furthermore, they want to make the problem worse by adding C++
> standard library bindings as well.

The C++ bindings should be opt-in..

>  I submitted  pull request to begin moving these bindings to
> Deimos, and make the dependencies private for individual
> platforms' ports, but only encountered resistance and
> misunderstanding.
>
> 4.  The D gatekeepers have become very averse to anything that
> would cause too much disruption, making me believe that the
> fundamental changes that are needed to make microcontroller
> programming in D a reality will never be accepted.

Hmm, I would definitely recommend to submit a DIP about the
proposed changes. "Unfortunately" D is so big now that changes
need to be carefully evaluated. Providing such an analysis in a
DIP, will vastly help your cause!

> 5.  Too many pull requests sit in "purgatory" for way too long
> without any progress.  I believe that trying to move my changes
> forward would be an uphill battle, and ultimately not worth the
> frustration.

That's a problem about missing reviewers. However, usually
reviewing other work will help a lot to speed up your PRs and
also you shouldn't be afraid to ping your PRs from time to time!