Go 1.9

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 23 16:05:49 PDT 2017

On Friday, 23 June 2017 at 22:35:04 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Friday, 23 June 2017 at 20:25:10 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> C# lost out internally at Microsoft precisely because of how
>> bloated it made everything, with signs that native is
>> ascendant again in recent years:
>>
>> https://hackernoon.com/what-really-happened-with-vista-4ca7ffb5a1a
>
> C# lost the Longhorn/Vista battle, but won the Windows 10 UWP
> one.

I wouldn't say C# won, UWP is implemented in C++ and supports
C++.  Of course, UWP is so unpopular that they eventually allowed
Win32 apps into their store:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/09/desktop-apps-make-their-way-into-the-windows-store/

Now they are so desparate for people to use it that they just
released a version of Windows that will only install UWP apps,
Windows 10 S:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/05/microsoft-takes-on-chrome-os-with-new-windows-10-s/

> Try to find the C++ talks.
>
> https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2017

You seem to have missed the bit where I said C# lost
_internally_.  Their plan, as detailed in the Vista link, was to
move all their own apps to C#, which has yet to happen.  I hear
C# has been very successful for corporate LoB apps, which are
developed quickly and not used widely enough to spend much time
on optimizing for performance.

On Friday, 23 June 2017 at 22:38:29 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Looking forward to see blazing fast D applications on the
> Windows store.

Why?  The Windows Store is a ghost town, with google not even
bothering to package Chrome on there, despite their browser being
the most installed and used app on Windows.