Go 1.9

Ecstatic Coder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 24 04:18:10 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 24 June 2017 at 10:34:07 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:

>>> That seems to be where it is heading.  I don't think D stands
>>> a chance in that domain, but we'll see.
>>
>> With all due respect, on the contrary I think that promoting D
>> as a general purpose programming language could be its only
>> chance to really improve its popularity, and thus
>> significantly grow its current user base.
>
> Most programming languages are technically "general purpose",
> but when projects look for tooling they aren't looking for
> something generic, they are looking for a solution to a
> specific domain.
>
> So, for a language to succeed you need to provide the best
> solution to something specific.

I agree, but it will be hard for D to beat C++, because people
who *need* to use C++ as a "systems programming language" won't
use D for the same reasons they don't use C#, Java or Go.

Just its GC keeps many C++ developers away from it, whether is
justified or not, despite D is as low level and performant.

But a GC is rarely a problem for a scripter, because most
scripting language already work this way.

So I think promoting D as a "systems programming language" won't
help in improving its popularity, as its GC doesn't make it the
best solution on this market.