Let's paint those bikesheds^Werror messages!

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 27 13:14:11 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 27 June 2017 at 17:11:32 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> The cardinal rule of color selection: NEVER only set the
> foreground color or the background color alone.

Fun fact: this is why terminal.d's api is `color(fg, bg)` instead
of foregroundColor and backgroundColor independently.

But, I actually hate it in terminals when individual lines have
different background colors, it doesn't really help legibility
since the surrounding clashing color continues to bleed the
contrast. That's why terminal.d now has Color.DEFAULT values and
I use that for the bg basically every time.

(Instead, as I've said a few times, I changed my terminal
*emulator*, yes the display side of it, to adjust the palette
based on what background is there. If you tell it to output color
0 on 0, it will actually do gray on black, despite 0 on 7 being
black on white. I figured the exact meaning of the palette
entries were less important than consistent legibility, and I'm
very happy with that. Now *any* program using *any* settings is
usable for me, including in sunlight, without excessive eye
strain. Big win.)