dmd debian installation conflicts with debian-goodies

Matthias Klumpp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 29 16:39:25 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 28 June 2017 at 10:09:06 UTC, Ralph Amissah wrote:
> Installing dmd if debian-goodies is installed fails. Both try
> to write a file named '/usr/bin/dman'
>
> Debian Stretch is out, the freeze is over, perhaps now dmd will
> soon be
> available as a package in Debian? Ldc2 does a great job but for
> testing
> purposes and convenience it would be good to have the reference
> compiler.

Long-term, we will likely be using GDC in Debian as default D
compiler, if that becomes viable. That GDC is in GCC now is a
very big deal, which makes maintaining D in Debian and any Linux
distribution (which uses GCC as system compiler) much easier.
Also, there is some company interest now, since it is expected
that GCC/GDC will hit enterprise distributions such as RHEL as
well, and thereby be widely available.

That being said, I want DMD to be available in Debian, and LDC is
doing a very good job at the moment and is serving as our
de-facto default D compiler.
Unfortunately now that the dman binary name is taken, DMD can't
have it in Debian and that binary would have to be renamed, even
if just temporarily in case we could convince the -goodies
maintainer to change the name of the existing binary.

> Is there likely to be D related activity at DebCamp and DebConf
> 2017, Montreal?

Nothing is planned yet, but if there is interest in it, I would
be happy to organize a BoF session there.

Cheers,
     Matthias