Google is apparently now better at searching programming-related questions

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 4 03:16:17 PST 2017

On Friday, 3 March 2017 at 07:51:06 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> Not sure what you mean by private session, but they build up a
> model of your fields of interest which is why you are getting
> relevant results.

Most browsers have a private browsing mode, which separates
cache/cookies/etc. from your regular browsing. Doing this will
usually allow you to temporarily reset your filter bubble.

> I get those same results when using my regular browser, but
> when using another browser I get "ad lib" etc, nothing about
> programming.

You might be hitting a different Google server. It's a common
misconception that all search queries go through the same
algorithm and database all the time; I remember reading somewhere
that Google might have up to hundreds of variations of search
algorithms available at any single point in time.

The results I get on all browsers (incl. my cell phone in a
private session on 3G):

1. "Libraries and Frameworks" on our wiki
2. awesome-d
3. D-Lib Magazine (unrelated to D).

I think Google has a local data center here in Moldova, so it's
likely that all my search queries go there.

I do get a "Did you mean" suggestion for "ad libs", is that what
you meant?