D street cred: Just a thought

Moritz Maxeiner via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 4 08:43:21 PST 2017

On Saturday, 4 March 2017 at 15:35:13 UTC, Ilya Yaroshenko wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> my 1 cent: we should stop trying to convert C++ users.
>
> Please, do no push devs to do not do something. There are two
> directions: betterC and DRuntime.

I've tried to follow the "betterC" discussion, but so far a
precise specification of what betterC is supposed to be eluded
me. What I got was that you seem to be judging druntime to be too
heavyweight and want something more lightweight, but I was never
clear on what exactly.

> I believe in betterC and  betterC target is C/C++ industry. Old
> D users are happy with DRuntime and growing Phobos.

Please don't throw all "old D users" in the same category,
generalizations like that only alienate. On a related note: What
I believe in is that D's community can't take another rift like
Phobos/Tango, D1/D2, so I've been very skeptical regarding the
value of betterC. This doesn't mean I'm happy with druntime and
phobos, though.

> This ways are not compatible at least for now.

I must have missed that: Are you saying that someone using
druntime in his application will not be able to use "betterC"
libraries?

> Mir libraries are going to be betterC, the next great betterC
> goal is DCV.
>
> Ilya

Would it be possible for you to provide a precise specification
of what exactly betterC is going to be? Or, if that already
exists, and I have missed it, point me to it?