[OT] Re: Why don't you advertise more your language on Quora etc ?

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 7 11:06:12 PST 2017

On Tue, Mar 07, 2017 at 06:45:55PM +0000, Rico Decho via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> But I don't think that D's GC is fine for people who care about it.
>
> If it is, why are people on this forum giving advices on how to
> disable and/or avoid it for soft real-time applications where a GC
> freeze can't be tolerated.
>
> D's GC isn't a crap at all, but better designs and implementations
> exist, and Nim's GC is one of them.
>
> We can either learn from it, or ignore it... But the second solution
> won't make D more appropriate for soft real-time scenarios...

What the D GC needs is somebody willing to sit down and actually spend
the time to improve/rewrite the code.  Over the years there has been an
endless stream of fancy ideas, feature requests, and wishlists for the
GC, but without anybody actually doing the work, nothing will actually
happen.  We are all very well aware of the current GC's limitations and
flaws for years now, and there has been some amount of improvements
going into it over the years.  But again, talking about it won't
magically make it better.  *Somebody* has to write the code, after all.

If anyone is interested to help, take a look at:

	https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/1603

and review the code, give some feedback, run the benchmarks yourself,
etc., to prod this PR along.

If you have other ideas for improving the GC (e.g., adapting ideas from
Nim's GC), submitting PRs to that effect would be much more effective
than merely talking about it.

If you want to solve a problem, you need to address its root cause, not just its symptoms. Otherwise it's like treating cancer with Tylenol...