Any news on DIP88?

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Mar 11 11:07:10 PST 2017

On Saturday, March 11, 2017 15:25:14 bauss via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Are there any news on DIP88? Will it be implemented?, when?, is
> there an implementation currently in development or?
>
> https://wiki.dlang.org/DIP88

It has never been approved. and as mentioned on the main DIPs page on the
wiki, there is a new DIP process (which attempts to solve the problem of
DIPs being proposed and then going nowhere). So, for DIP 88 to be approved
(or any other of the DIPs on the wiki that hasn't been approved), it would
have to go through the new DIP process, and DIP 88 has not been submitted
for review with the new DIP process.

https://github.com/dlang/DIPs

That being said, there have been multiple threads in this newsgroup about
ways to have named arguments via templates in the language right now without
making any language changes, and adding them to the language was already
pretty controversial. So, I would expect that any DIP for it would be
rejected on the grounds that it can already been done via a library solution
without language changes, and it might also be rejected on the grounds that
it would be undesirable to have it be built into the language (last I heard,
Walter was against it; I don't know remember if I ever heard Andrei's
opinion on the matter, but he favors library solutions over language ones
regardless).

So, if someone cares enough, they can propose a new DIP for named arguments,
but I doubt that it would be accepted, and no one has made the attempt
regardless, so it definitely hasn't been accepted as of now.

- Jonathan M Davis