The delang is using merge instead of rebase/squash

Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 21 13:16:00 PDT 2017

On Monday, 20 March 2017 at 05:10:04 UTC, Martin Nowak wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 at 13:14:31 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
>> This is making the history very spaghettified. Is that
>> possible to have the bot rebase/squash commits and then
>> pushing ?
>
> I don't really agree with the argument. A merge commit is a
> clear way to integrate changes from a PR/branch.
> Just rebasing a PR on top of master removes a lot of
> information from git, only leaving references to github.
>
> Can you be more specific, what you mean w/ spaghetti? The fact
> that reciew fixes are added to PRs.
>
> Also github's commit view misleadingly shows commits from
> merged PRs/branches, which aren't actually in master.

There's a compromise, which I'm using right now. Always rebase
and always merge. You can see that it branched off for a purpose
(the argument for merging) and the history is much cleaner (the
argument for rebasing).

i.e.:

git rebase master my_branch
git checkout master
git merge --no-ff my_branch

gitlab supports doing this via the web interface, I don't know
about github.

Atila