Upgrading the minimum version of FreeBSD supported

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Mar 31 15:51:33 PDT 2017

The autotester is currently at FreeBSD 8.4. This is rather obsolete. The linker
that is standard on 8.4 is causing problems:

   https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/6564

The oldest supported version of FreeBSD stands at 10.3:

   https://www.freebsd.org/security/unsupported.html

I know the linker with FreeBSD 11.0 does work correctly. I don't know which
FreeBSD version it was fixed on.

So the question is, can we at least move to FreeBSD 10.3 as the minimum
supported version? Is anyone very dependent on an older FreeBSD? Is there a case
for supporting FreeBSD versions that are officially unsupported?