Jonathan Blow's presentation

Ethan Watson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon May 8 12:11:03 PDT 2017

On Monday, 8 May 2017 at 16:10:51 UTC, Rel wrote:
> I don't know if I ever will need it in my code. For the game
> development use case it may be useful, for example to package
> all of the game assets at compile time.

It's only useful for very select cases when hardcoded assets are
required. You know, unless you want to try making a 45 gigabyte
executable for current Playstation/Xbox games. A talk I watched
the other year made the point that as far as textures go in video
games, literally all but 10 you'll ever use are read only so stop
trying to program that exception as if it's a normal thing.
Hardcoding a select few assets is also a case of a vast-minority
exception. There's ways to do it on each platform, and it's not
really worth thinking about too much until those rare times you
need one.

Embedding inside the executable is also already a thing you can
do in D with the import keyword.