Off-topic discussions (WAS: OT: Re: My two cents on what D needs to be more successful...)

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 24 08:38:53 PDT 2017

On 5/22/17 8:21 PM, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Monday, 22 May 2017 at 20:49:22 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
>
>> Then, with all due respect, please remove these posts...
>>
>> IMHO, they are so incredibly off-topic that I don't see why they
>> should remain here to pollute the pages of a D language forum.
>
> The forum is a web frontend for a newsgroup server, which also has a
> mailing list interface. I think the NG server does support message
> deletion, and that may cause it to disappear from the web frontend, but
> it will still be in NG readers and inboxes.

It does support that. When I used Opera for my NNTP client, I could
actually remove my own posts (I would do this if I made a huge typo, or
postd by accident). I don't think Thunderbird supports that (and Opera
discontinued their client).

However, I think the web forum software doesn't obey those deletions.
And it's so darned fast, I'm sure it picks the erroneous message up
before deletion ;)

-Steve