DMD VS2017 Support

Jolly James via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed May 24 13:23:34 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 24 May 2017 at 03:21:56 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 23 May 2017 at 23:11:30 UTC, Jolly James wrote:
>> Come one, let's be ones: If DMD has no x64 linker, VS
>> integration is not a bit optional.
>
> Unlike some other operating systems, 64-bit Windows versions
> can run 32-bit software just fine. If you require targeting
> Win64 (or the Microsoft C runtime), that is specific to your
> use case.

That's true. But when D's GC does not trigger early enough, my
program runs out of memory (due to the 2 GB limit of 32 bit
process), x64 solves this more or less. As a side note: I am
talking about allocating huge arrays.

> And, again, Visual Studio is not required if you want to target
> Win64 - only the necessary toolchain components (linker and C
> runtime), which you can also obtain from an SDK.
>
>> So you are telling me "not working at all" is not worth
>> releasing a fix? xD
>
> Again, everything should be already working. We are talking
> about a convenience feature that automatically sets up the D
> compiler's configuration file, nothing more. That's all there
> is to the "integration". You can trivially do the same thing by
> hand, or set up your environment accordingly - all in a
> fraction of the time it took you to write these pointless
> complaints on this forum.

I admit, you are right in some points. Nevertheless, have you
ever tried letting a novice configuring this stuff? The 'sc.ini'
is neither easy to read nor logic. In my particular case I am
overchallenged by this task.