A Few thoughts on C, C++, and D

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue May 30 04:22:29 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 30 May 2017 at 05:50:13 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grostad
wrote:

> Focusing on getting many libraries won't work, because you need
> to maintain them. I never use unmaintained libraries... Having
> many unmaintained libraries is in a way worse than having a few
> long-running ones that improve at a steady pace.

One of the things I hated when I started using D was links to
dsource libraries. I think that writing new libraries in D is
often a mistake for that very reason. Bindings to C libraries is
what we need. Put everything into one D file if possible,
wrapping just the stable core functionality with a few
convenience features tossed in, and maintenance is no longer an
issue. There's nothing sexy abut that approach, and that's kind
of the point.