Note from a donor

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 05:36:21 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 1 November 2017 at 03:55:14 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 06:33:02 Dmitry Olshansky via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 31 October 2017 at 01:25:31 UTC, Adam D Ruppe
>> wrote:
>> > A 32 bit program can do most the same stuff.
>>
>> Client applications probably do not care much. Servers and
>> cluster software can use more RAM and take advantage of huge
>> address space in many interesting ways.
>
> Wait, people run Windows on servers? No one could be that
> crazy, could they? ;)

You are seriously underestimating Windows Server. Yeah it has gui
and remote desktop, but it ticks in at what ~200 mb of ram.

Microsoft IIS is still top server on the web.

Also if you didn’t noticed in recent years MS did quite a few
breakthroughs on performance e.g. user-mode scheduling and RIO
sockets.

> I think that Adam has a valid point that there _are_ plenty of
> applications that can function just fine as 32-bit, and given
> how much easier it is to build for 32-bit on Windows with D, if
> you don't need to interact with any 3rd party libraries built
> with MS' compiler, then simply using the default 32-bit dmd
> stuff on Windows could be just fine.

That is ok.

> But the fact remains that plenty of applications need 64-bit or
> would benefit from 64-bit, and plenty of applications need
> access to COFF libraries, and in those cases, you can't do
> things the easy way on Windows.

Like dmd itself!