What is the FreeBSD situation?

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Fri Nov 3 10:26:42 UTC 2017

On Friday, November 03, 2017 09:50:37 codephantom via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 3 November 2017 at 09:40:01 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> > Note that dmd still runs on Windows XP, though it is not
> > officially supported. You just need to be careful about using
> > TLS variables on it :-(
>
> Please keep it that way ;-)

I think that there's a decent chance that some of Phobos won't work with XP
though. A lot of API calls were added in Vista, some of which were major
improvements. Plenty of stuff will probably continue to work on XP, but we
don't support it, and as time goes by, the odds of stuff not working on it
are going to increase. So, feel free to use XP if you want to, but you're
using it at your own risk, and if something doesn't work, then you're just
going to be out of luck.

> btw. dmd runs just fine on FreeBSD 12 too, as I just tested it.
>
> Mind you, I just compile my own stuff, and that's all.
>
> I don't have extensive unit tests, so some things may well not
> work.

It definitely crashed the last time I tested it, and the aforementioned bug
report has someone testing it, and it crashing. So, either they've changed
something that somehow magically made our stuff work as-is, or you just got
lucky.

But regardless of whether it currently crashes, it's clear that we're going
to need to make stat and friends work with 64-bit inodes rather than simply
using the 32-bit inodes, even if they still happen to work for the moment,
since at some point, the 32-bit inodes are going to be going away (though
I'm sure not until at least FreeBSD 13).

- Jonathan M Davis