[OT] Windows dying

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Fri Nov 3 17:25:26 UTC 2017

On Friday, 3 November 2017 at 14:29:27 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> On Friday, 3 November 2017 at 14:12:56 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> But that established PC userbase shrinking is not what you
>> should be worried about.  I've talked to multiple middle-class
>> consumers in developing markets- they would be considered poor
>> in the US if you converted their income to dollars- who tell
>> me that they recently got their first smartphone for $150-200
>> and that it is the first time they ever used the internet,
>> with cheap 3G/4G plans that are only now springing up.  They
>> don't use the web, only mobile chat or social apps.
>>
>> Now, do you think these billions of new users of computing and
>> the internet are more likely to buy a cheap laptop shell or
>> dock for their smartphone when they someday need to do some
>> "lean forward" work, as you call it, or spend much more on a
>> Windows PC?  I know where my bet is.
>>

> It's pretty clear from this and some of the other posts that
> your primary focus is computer users. The work you've done in
> getting LDC to compile programs for Android is a good example.
> You want to be able to compile D programs that go on a smart
> phone because that's where the growth of computer users is
> coming from. I get that. 100%.

Yes, D should aim for the largest platforms first- that includes
Android, iOS, and Windows- because that's where programmers want
to use D to create software for the most users.

> I think a source of pushback on the Windows subject is that
> programmers are a mere subset of all computer users. Maybe the
> billions might buy a cheap laptop shell or dock, but that
> doesn't mean they will be programmers. Thus, it's good to be
> able to compile programs for that platform, but it doesn't mean
> that work done to improve the experience of programmers on
> other platforms is a waste of time.

Of course those mobile users will be programmers too, why do you
think I've built ldc to be used _on_ Android itself?

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/antajtnvmavswjvcdoyq@forum.dlang.org

Most programmers will one day be coding on mobile devices, though
I admit I'm in a small, early-adopting minority now:

http://bergie.iki.fi/blog/six-weeks-working-android/

For the majority of devs still using PCs to write code, my point
was better to invest in improving the experience with D for those
targeting mobile, rather than more marginal effort to make
VisualD and others targeting Windows even better, because of the
different sizes and trajectories of those OS platforms.