What is the FreeBSD situation?

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Fri Nov 3 19:36:51 UTC 2017

On Friday, November 03, 2017 11:04:12 codephantom via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 3 November 2017 at 10:26:42 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>
> wrote:
> > I think that there's a decent chance that some of Phobos won't
> > work with XP though....
>
> Same for FreeBSD ;-)
>
> e.g: below compile fine on Windows, but on FreeBSD (11 and 12), I
> get a compile time error: Error: template instance to!string to
> is not a template declaration, it is a module. I've come across a
> few others too.... so Phobos developers need to test on FreeBSD
> too.
>
> ------------------
> import std.stdio;
> import std.conv;
>
> void main()
> {
>      auto i = to!string(55);
>      writeln("i is a ", typeof(i).stringof);
> }

Well, I won't deny that most of the core devs don't use FreeBSD, and the
auto-tester situation with FreeBSD needs to be improved, but that code
compiles just fine on my TrueOS system with dmd master, and that code is not
the sort of thing that I would expect to have issues that depended on the OS
it was on. What version of dmd are you running?

- Jonathan M Davis