What is the FreeBSD situation?

codephantom me at noyb.com
Sat Nov 4 00:48:27 UTC 2017

On Friday, 3 November 2017 at 19:36:51 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> Well, I won't deny that most of the core devs don't use
> FreeBSD, and the auto-tester situation with FreeBSD needs to be
> improved, but that code compiles just fine on my TrueOS system
> with dmd master, and that code is not the sort of thing that I
> would expect to have issues that depended on the OS it was on.
> What version of dmd are you running?
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

That is strange, that it compiles ok on TrueOS.

I don't think it's a FreeBSD issue as such, maybe more a posix
issue??

I **cannot** compile that code that I mentioned on FreeBSD-11/12,
Debian 8.5.0, or Centos 7.3.1611. In all those cases, DMD gives
the same strange message. The only way I got it to work (on both
Debian and Centos) was to compile with GDC instead.

On FreeBSD-11/12, it just won't compile whether I use DMD or LDC
(and of course i don't have GDC on FreeBSD so don't know would
happen if I did).

But: auto i = to!string(55);

Gee...that's a pretty simply piece of code, and shouldn't be
failing at all, anywhere.