[OT] Windows dying

Tony tonytdominguez at aol.com
Wed Nov 8 07:04:24 UTC 2017

On Monday, 6 November 2017 at 08:33:16 UTC, Joakim wrote:

> The vast majority of users would be covered by 5-10 GBs of
> available storage, which is why the lowest tier of even the
> luxury iPhone was 16 GBs until last year.  Every time I talk to
> normal people, ie non-techies unlike us, and ask them how much
> storage they have in their device, whether smartphone, tablet,
> or laptop, they have no idea.  If I look in the device, I
> inevitably find they're only using something like 3-5 GBs max,
> out of the 20-100+ GBs they have available.

You are making an assumption that people want as much storage for
a combo phone/PC as they do for only a phone. You need to also
check how much storage they are using on their PCs.

>> I never made any previous claim about what IDEs are being
>> used. The only time I previously mentioned an IDE was with
>> regard to RemObjects and Embarcadero offering
>> cross-compilation to Android/iOS with their products.
>>
>> "There is a case to be made for supporting  Android/iOS
>> cross-compilation. But it doesn't have to come at the expense
>> of Windows 64-bit integration. Not sure they even involve the
>> same skillsets. Embarcadero and Remobjects both now support
>> Android/iOS development from their Windows (and macOS in the
>> case of Remobjects) IDEs."
>>
>> That was to highlight that those two compiler companies have
>> seen fit to also cross-compile to mobile - they saw an
>> importance to mobile development. It wasn't about what IDEs
>> are best for mobile or even what IDEs are being used for
>> mobile.
>
> If you look back to the first mention of IDES, it was your
> statement, "Good luck selling game developers on using D to
> develop for Android, when you can't supply those same game
> developers a top-notch development environment for the premier
> platform for performance critical games - Windows 64-bit."
>
> That at least implies that they're using the same IDE to target
> both mobile and PC gaming, which is what I was disputing.  If
> you agree that they use completely different toolchains, then
> it is irrelevant whether D supports Windows-focused IDEs, as it
> doesn't affect mobile-focused devs.

My statements quoted didn't mention IDEs and they didn't imply
IDEs. What was implied was the initial line in the first post "*
better dll support for Windows". My assumption is that game
developers (or just developers) work on multiple OSes. If you
want them to use a language - like D - they should find it
compelling to use on all their platforms.

> I've always thought that flat Metro interface was best suited
> for mobile displays, the easiest to view, render, and touch.
> To some extent, all the other mobile interfaces have copied it,
> with their move to flat UIs over the years.  However, it
> obviously takes much more than a nice GUI to do well in mobile.

I don't know what a flat UI is, but every mobile OS I have used -
Blackberry 9/10, Nokia Symbian, Nokia Linux, Palm OS, WebOS,
Firefox OS, iOS, Android - all have the same essential interface.
Icons on a scrolling desktop. Windows 8/10 Mobile, with the
resizable live tiles is the only one that does the interface
differently, and in my opinion, does it the best.

>>> Because their userbase was rebelling?  I take it you're not
>>> that familiar with Mac users, but they were genuinely scared
>>> that Apple was leaving them behind, since they weren't
>>> refreshing Mac and Macbooks much anymore and all Apple's
>>> focus is on iOS:
>>
>> So, let them rebel. You said that they would like to see it go
>> away, and/or they want to milk it. If you have to spend money
>> on development to keep selling it, then you can't "milk it".
>
> You and I and Jobs may've let them rebel, but Apple is a public
> corporation.  They can't just let easy money go, their
> shareholders may not like it. Perhaps you're not too familiar
> with legacy calculations, but they're probably still making
> good money off Macs, but it just distracts and keeps good Apple
> devs off the real cash cow, iPhone.  Even if the Mac financials
> aren't _that_ great anymore, you don't necessarily want to piss
> off your oldest and most loyal customers, who may stop buying
> iPhones and iPads too.

It would either be you and Jobs, or just you, letting them rebel.
I would keep the line. The large Apple profit comes from offering
quality products and then pricing them at the highest gross
profit margin in the industry. In order to get people to pay a
premium for their products it helps to have a mystique or
following, and the macOS line helps to maintain their mystique
and it is small potatoes next to their phone business.