Project Elvis

codephantom me at noyb.com
Fri Nov 10 12:38:49 UTC 2017

On Friday, 10 November 2017 at 12:23:06 UTC, Satoshi wrote:
> I'm comparing C# to D because D is trying to do the same stuff
> as C#. GUI development and website development. I used vibe.d,
> I used ASP.NET core and I'm still missing some C# features in
> D. So I'm sharing my experience and expectations.
>
> If you don't want to compare D with C# or other languages, just
> don't push D to the same place as C# is. Why isn't D standing
> as a replacement for C++ but pushing into webdev and gui dev?
> C++ is not used for webdev too, and gui dev in C++ is horrible.
>
> And yeah, swift was developed by some volunteers until Apple
> took it. Why Apple didn't take D instead?

Well, I really don't want to argue with you, and I'm not sure we
really have much to argue anyway.

But I don't see D as a replacement for C#.

C# has a hold of its territory pretty well, I don't see D
intruding into it, any time soon. It certainly has some good
feature that D could consider incorporating. I don't think
(personally) the Elvis operator is one of them. Other disagree
find. I'm with disagreement.

C++ on the otherhand, is certainly where D can showcase it's
benefit - and indeed where many focus their attention when it
comes to marketing D.

And if you had good skill in C++, and switched to D, and was good
at D too, then you'll be part of the generation that will replace
the C++ language and the C++ programmers ;-)

Sorry to the C++ fanboys..if you're listening...don't take it
personally.