Project Elvis

Satoshi satoshi at rikarin.org
Fri Nov 10 12:23:06 UTC 2017

On Friday, 10 November 2017 at 12:06:42 UTC, codephantom wrote:
> On Friday, 10 November 2017 at 11:45:25 UTC, Satoshi wrote:
>>
>> How many corporations is using D right now? 10?
>> Windows is still dominant OS and there are a lot of job
>> opportunities for C#.
>>
>> D is unusable for startups or corporations where are junior
>> programmers hired anyway because it's too complicated to use.
>> And pay senior developers for job what can be done by juniors
>> but in different language is not worth.
>> (e.g. metaprogramming is great stuff but require high skilled
>> programmers to use it correctly.)
>
> Yeah..let's use the D forums to bag D. What a great idea.
Yeah, because my opinion about D will be more valuable for the
language at C# forum :)
I'm not bagging D I'm just providing my personal opinions,
experience and expectations.

> And, why are you trying to compare the state of C# to D.
>
> I really do not see your point.
>
> Besides being completely different languages, with completely
> different purposes, one is backed by a billion$ corporation,
> and the other is developed by a group of volunteers.
>
> I cannot accept the assertion by some, that we 'should' look to
> C# for language advice.

I'm comparing C# to D because D is trying to do the same stuff as
C#. GUI development and website development. I used vibe.d, I
used ASP.NET core and I'm still missing some C# features in D. So
I'm sharing my experience and expectations.

If you don't want to compare D with C# or other languages, just
don't push D to the same place as C# is. Why isn't D standing as
a replacement for C++ but pushing into webdev and gui dev? C++ is
not used for webdev too, and gui dev in C++ is horrible.

And yeah, swift was developed by some volunteers until Apple took
it. Why Apple didn't take D instead?