Thoughts about D

codephantom me at noyb.com
Wed Nov 29 00:21:32 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 at 23:07:32 UTC, John Gabriele wrote:
> The big recent spike appears to coincide with DMD being
> re-licensed as fully open source, as well as the GDC inclusion
> into GCC.
>
> Years ago I was interested in D but considered the licensing to
> be a show-stopper. I've recently come back to learn it proper
> and try it for some small projects precisely because of the
> licensing change.

I didn't download it cause someone was blogging about it ;-)

I only downloaded it because I discovered ldc2 in FreeBSD ports,
and it mentioned a new langauge called D, which I had never heard
of. After a bit of googling, I discovered the reference compiler
was fully released as open source, under the Boost licence. (had
it been GPL'd my interest would likely have stopped there, and
had it only been the frontend, and not the backend, my interest
would have stopped there too).

And knowing that LLVM was on board, was a really important factor
for me too.