Note from a donor

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 16:34:54 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 26 October 2017 at 15:50:07 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:

> I am preparing a request for Microsoft to allow us to
> redistribute some of their binaries. Of course we want to do
> that only if deemed necessary (they are not available easily
> from their site etc). Any help building an exact list of
> requisites would be great. Thanks! -- Andrei

Cool.

 From the Installing DMD wiki
(https://wiki.dlang.org/Installing_DMD), it recommends the VS
2015 Community for Windows 7/8 or VS 2017 Community for Windows
10 users. I have Visual Studio Community 2017 installed,
available from one of the links here:
https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/

One little trick in the wiki is that it says that you can uncheck
boxes to reduce the size/time of the download. It might be
helpful to know the minimum required to get D working and the
minimum required to get Visual D working.

It also lists an alternative to install the Microsoft build tools
and an appropriate version of the Windows SDK. LDC also refers to
the Visual C++ build tools, but does not reference the SDK. I
think the VS build tools replace the Visual C++ tools. The VS
build tools look like they have an option to install the SDK and
other stuff too.