D vs Rust

Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Sep 3 12:40:27 PDT 2017

On 09/03/2017 11:26 AM, Eljay wrote:

 > I put D on the list.

Been there, done that. Decision makers rationalize any other choice
pretty easily:

- Python is 20 times slower: "We don't need speed."

- Python has a global lock: "We will start RESTful separate processes."

- Python's memory foot print is huge: "We will use less processes and
use coroutines."

- Python does not provide static type-checking: "We will use pylint."
People submit code that are broken: "They should use pylint."

- Similar other items where Python is inferior: "We'll deal with those
when they become issues."

- Python is better on this one item: "Great! We choose Python."

 > Hi Walter!

He's still hanging around... ;)

 > Hi Bearophile!

I'm afraid bearophile has moved to greener pastures. I've run into
bearophile on Reddit on Rust-related threads. He uses a different name
there.

 > Can we hire 100+ programmers willing to use that language?

D companies are known to interview in e.g. C++ but tell the candidates
that they will be coding in D.

Ali