D vs Rust

Guillaume Piolat via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Sep 3 13:09:06 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 3 September 2017 at 19:40:27 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:

> Decision makers rationalize any other choice pretty easily:

There is a useful method in the book "Thinking Fast and Slow" to
try to be rational about a choice.

1/ Before looking the different solitions, make a list of
relevant criterion for the problem at hand, and associate
weights. For example I need to choose a language, let's choose
Platform Support (weight 5), Familiarity (weight 4) and Speed
(weight 2).

2/ Rate each alternatives alongside the choosen criterion.
For example D gets 3/5 in Platform Support, 4/4 in Familiarity
and 1/2 in Speed.
That makes 3 + 5 + 1 = 9 points.

3/ And then _without further thinking_ choose the one with the
most point.

In the book the example used was with hiring, but I suspect it
applies to many type of decisions instead.

This method is supposed to outperform intuitive reasoning for
hiring. In particular overcome some biases. However biases still
find a way in the choice of criterions.