Deimos X11 bindings license question

Jonathan Marler via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 5 09:32:47 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 3 September 2017 at 16:10:11 UTC, Gary Willoughby
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A few years ago I forked the Deimos X11 bindings[1] repo to add
> dub support. Since then my repo[2] has received bug fixes and
> as such it's being used in many projects. (Also, in the
> following years dub support was added to the Deimos repo too.)
> I had a question from a developer as to the license of the code
> in my repo. I used the LGPL because the original used it.
>
> My question, is there a legal way to change the current license
> to Boost or MIT or something like? Because this particular
> developer wanted to use it in a project where LGPL was
> incompatible.
>
> [1]: https://github.com/D-Programming-Deimos/libX11
> [2]: https://github.com/nomad-software/x11

+1 for getting away from the GPL.  Though I understand the
sentiment coming from the FSF, the practical consequences of
using GPL licenses is restricting the users of your
library/application.  By going to a non-restrictive license like
you suggest (Boost/MIT), it will allow the code to be used by
anyone, instead of just those who conform to the GPL.

I'm assuming this is why you're trying to move to another
license, I thought I would explicitly state this in the thread so
as to educate others on the reasons why they may or may not want
to use the GPL in their own projects.