The case for integer overflow checks?

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Sep 16 10:02:21 UTC 2017

On 9/16/2017 2:55 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
> The programming community is coming around, very slowly, to what the airframe
> industry learned generations ago. I.e. you *never* rely on people in the system
> not making mistakes.

The Equifax disaster is another lesson the airframe industry learned generations
ago. Compartmentalization. (Battleships and spy networks learned that centuries
ago.)

A single security error in the Equifax system led to losing ALL of their data.

Sensitive data should be compartmentalized, i.e. being spread among systems each
with their own security. Access to one compartment does not give access to any
other compartments.