lazy import, an alternative to DIP 1005

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Sun Sep 17 20:05:21 UTC 2017

On Friday, September 15, 2017 14:45:01 Jonathan Marler via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> What do you think, better or worse than DIP 1005?  I think it's
> simpler, but not sure if it's better overall.

Walter has talked before about wanting to make _all_ imports lazy, which
should obviate the need for DIP 1005 entirely - at least as far as
compilation speed goes. The benefit that you do not get is the documenting
of dependencies that DIP 1005 gives you. But personally, I don't think that
that's even vaguely worth complicating function signatures even further -
especially if we have lazy imports. I would _much_ rather have lazy imports
implemented rather than DIP 1005. Function signatures arguably have too much
on them in D as it is.

- Jonathan M Davis