Should we add `a * b` for vectors?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 02:17:31 UTC 2017

On 28 September 2017 at 11:58, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 9/27/2017 4:21 PM, Manu wrote:
>
>> D does not have ADL,
>>

> Thank gawd! :-)
>
> which will almost certainly lead to _very_ nasty surprises in behaviour.
>>

> ADL was always a hack to get around the wretched overloading symbol lookup
> behavior in C++. I see it has somehow morphed into a feature :-( but I see
> no advantage to it over D's approach (the reverse operand lookup scheme).

Whether you like it or not, the lack of ADL will make the idea of operator
overloading a disaster.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not married to ADL, I'm completely ambivalent on
its design. As I see, it just makes a fairly important set of problems work
in a predictable and useful manner, and I haven't encountered issues with
it before.
The problem is, D offers no solution to the important issues that ADL
addresses, and I think that's a much worse situation than the existence of
ADL.