[OT] Unity migrating parts of their engine from C++ into High Performace C# (HPC#)

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 07:48:40 UTC 2018

On Monday, 2 April 2018 at 18:54:28 UTC, 12345swordy wrote:

> Interesting that they are going the "No classes allowed"
> approach. It looks like the bullet points can be done in better
> c mode of D.

I think you'll find Sarn's work on Xanthe quite interesting:
https://forum.dlang.org/post/qjowkuwstewnmdunepiq@forum.dlang.org
https://forum.dlang.org/post/ntnvrdoqgjpuogoxexqn@forum.dlang.org

D provides some remarkable features (type introspection, mixins,
templates, etc...) that could make something like this possible
in D.

> Regardless, I been pushing for a way to deallocated classes in
> the @nogc context, which apparently not very much people here
> seemed to care about.

I think people care, but it's a difficult problem to solve due to
the burden of some of D's technical debt.  I know you are aware
of the proposed ProtoObject which may provide an eventual
solution.  I, for one, am considering abandoning classes
altogether and looking for ways to build on Sarn's aforementioned
work to make object hierarchies in D using only structs.

Mike