D compiles fast, right? Right??

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 23:29:34 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 3 April 2018 at 19:07:54 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
> On Tuesday, 3 April 2018 at 10:24:15 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>> On Monday, 2 April 2018 at 18:52:14 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
>>

> You still missed my point.

I got your point. I'm disagreeing.

> You're post was saying that "D does not compile as fast as GO".

Please show me where in my post where you think I said that.

> But the libraries you're comparing are vastly different.

Their sizes are different. I disagree that they're vastly
different.

> If you're post was saying, "dlang's std.path compiles much
> slower than GO's" then you would be fine.

That is exactly what I said.

> However, you're post was misleading saying the Go compile's
> faster than D in general,

I never said that.

> and I was pointing out that the use case you provided doesn't
> apply in the general case,

Maybe it applies in the general case, maybe it doesn't. I have no
idea.

> it only applies to a library with the same name/type of
> functionality.

I don't know about “only".

> You're totally misunderstanding me.  I was just saying that if
> you want to compare the compile speed of D vs GO (IN THE
> GENERAL CASE), you should not include the unittests in D's
> performance because you weren't including them in your GO
> example.

Include what? The Go standard library's own tests? libstdc++'s?

All the code I compiled was in that post. The only reason the Go
file isn't just a one liner is because the silly opinionated
language won't let me.

I showed how long it takes to compile the minimum amount of code
necessary to import the part of the standard library responsible
for paths in 3 languages. Then I showed how much slower it got in
D with -unittest on the exact same one liner.

There isn't an equivalent in Go or C++. And yet one can write
tests in them. And when one does, the compile-time penalty is 0.

> What I am arguing against is that your example is not evidence
> that GO compiles faster than D in general.

I have no idea why you're arguing against something I never
stated.

> You're example is comparing 2 different libraries in 2
> different languages, not about the languages themselves.

No, I compared importing path functionality in files that did
nothing else (except for some dummy code in Go) in *3* different
languages. Then I showed that compiling the one liner in D with
-unittest was slower than C++ by just a bit and nearly 50 slower
than Go. With no actual tests in sight.