D Library Breakage

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 18:24:39 UTC 2018

On Friday, 13 April 2018 at 18:04:38 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
> On Friday, 13 April 2018 at 10:47:18 UTC, Rene Zwanenburg wrote:
>> On Friday, 13 April 2018 at 05:31:25 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:
>>>

> One thought I has was that we could define a special symbol
> that basically encodes the configuration that was used to
> compile a module.  So when you import a precompiled module, you
> can insert a dependency on that special symbol based on the
> configuration you interpreted the imported module with with.
> So if a module is compiled and imported with a different
> configuration, you'll get a linker error.
>
> If we take the previous example with main and foo.

This is awesome, that would be huge improvement over C/C++ as
e.g. in C there is 0 ways to know if the file was compiled with
same “version defines” as yours.

But... Could it be that library has versions for implementation
details that user code shouldn’t even see. Basically you build
the same thing with 2 different backends.