Favorite GUI library?

TheGag96 thegag96 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 18:13:46 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 at 14:30:07 UTC, Thomas Brix Larsen
wrote:
> I'd recommend dqml[1] or full Qt using Calypso[2] instead of
> QtE5. I'm currently using dqml in a project and it is working
> out great.

Awesome, thank you! I'll keep that in mind!

On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 at 13:08:24 UTC, Chris wrote:
> In my experience, if you stick to plain JS+CSS+HTML things
> don't break that often.

...If you can get things written in the first place. Over the
summer I interned at a place where they taught me how to write a
web app, and I very quickly learned that unless you're using
TypeScript or something, it's nearly impossible to write clean,
well-structured JavaScript code, just by the nature of language
itself. And even then it's still kinda gross.

My whole point with what I said earlier was that there's no
reason to be greedy about resources for your app unless it's
specifically needed. If you're trying to deploy on every
imaginable platform, I could absolutely see the benefit of being
able to develop one app for all of them at once through the web -
but that's even assuming there's no major quirks/concerns between
all browsers.

Uknown's point about Moore's Law, I think, is the one we should
be paying attention to. A while back, I saw a talk by Jonathan
Blow called "Making Game Programming Less Terrible"[1], and
lately it's been on my mind a ton. I've begun to think that by
going straight to web/Node stuff is just contributing to the
degeneration of software/computing. Things are so much slower
than they should be nowadays because programmers either A) didn't
know any better how to write software that's as snappy as it
should be, or B) wanted to make things easier/cheaper for
themselves.

A bit off-topic I suppose lol, but I hope this kind of outlines
why I follow D so much in the first place and why I want
something lightweight but workable if I can find it.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWv_vUgbmug