Automate the collection and publishing of data for monitoring D's progress as a software development project

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Wed Aug 8 07:24:26 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 7 August 2018 at 17:47:45 UTC, Venu Vardhan Reddy
Tekula wrote:
> Hello everyone, as I said before here,
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/dbmottqhsyxdizfkggbq@forum.dlang.org, I am interested in "Automate the collection and publishing of data for monitoring D's progress as a software development project" which is part of SAOC.
>
> I have been into Web Development and worked on few projects.
> Now I am actually learning data science as I am quite
> interested in the field. I want to apply for this project as it
> covers both of my interests, Web Development and Data Science.
>
> The main crux of this project lies in scraping the data using
> the required API's and generating a web app, which can actually
> show a clear graph of what all things are happening to
> everyone. The graph thing can be done using some libraries in
> python. The web app can also be made using Python and Django.

Yes, everything _could_ be done in Python or other languages, but
SAoC is being run by the D foundation and a company using D,
which is why the first question in the FAQ says,

"Q: Can I use other languages alongside the D Language in my
project?

A: Yes. Make sure that the focus is the D Language. We are likely
to select applicants that prioritize the D Language."

If you don't want to participate in SAoC, but simply want to
volunteer to do this because you're interested in data science,
you are free to use any language you want.

> I had some questions regarding the project and also needed some
> pointers to get started with the project. Also, more it would
> be great if more description of the project statement can be
> provided.

This is not a "project," it is merely an idea to spur SAoC
proposals, apparently added by Mike:

https://wiki.dlang.org/?title=SAOC_2018_ideas&type=revision&diff=9293&oldid=9292

The ideas are intended to provide a base upon which you build a
full proposal. If you'd like to know more about what Mike had in
mind, you can ask him more questions here, as he just responded
to you, or over private email, which you can probably get from
his github profile or commits:

https://github.com/JinShil