Automate the collection and publishing of data for monitoring D's progress as a software development project

Venu Vardhan Reddy Tekula venuvardhanreddytekula8 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 17:16:24 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 7 August 2018 at 23:59:55 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
> On Tuesday, 7 August 2018 at 17:47:45 UTC, Venu Vardhan Reddy
> Tekula wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Thanks for you interest and welcome to the D community.  Your
> skills will be valuable here if are willing to volunteer them
> to the D effort.

It would be my pleasure to work with the D community. I am a
member of the student club here in my university, called
FOSS at Amrita (https://amfoss.in/) which actually encourages
students to contribute to Open Source projects. I have been into
Open Source for a considerable amount of time.

>> [...]
>
> While I'm not one of the people who will be judging the merits
> of such a project, I believe there is a high preference for at
> least the backend to be written in D.  There has been some
> progress with WebAssembly in D
> (https://forum.dlang.org/post/dzqvahqyohmjcustvdbz@forum.dlang.org), but it's highly experimental right now, so it might be best to write the frontend in the typical HTML/CSS/Javascript, or some framework built of those technologies like Angular, Vue, etc...

Sure, I will move on with these things for the frontend.

>> [...]
>
> My recommendations for getting started:
> * Learn D.  Start here (http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/index.html),
> then look here (https://wiki.dlang.org/Books)  Ask questions on
> the Learn forum, IRC, or even StackOverflow.
> * Lean web programming in D.  Start with
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/178528889X/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=178528889X&linkCode=as2&tag=dlang-20&linkId=DR64TRTOQS2GVORZ  Again, ask questions on the Learn forum , IRC, or even StackOverflow.

Thank you for the suggestions. I started learning D, btw. :D

> If you have questions about the project, please ask away.
> Specific questions are likely to get answers quickly; broad
> questions less so.
>
> The description of the project is intentionally left vague in
> order to not constrain the participant's creativity.  What
> metrics do you think would be valuable to the D effort that you
> feel confident you can succeed with in the time constraints of
> the Autumn of Code event?  After the event, it would be super
> awesome if you could continue maintaining project and add to it.

Sure, it is a super cool project and I am really excited to be a
part of it.

> If you have questions, ask away, but feel free to take the
> general idea and run with it.  Acceptance will likely be judged
> based on the merits of your proposal; not the idea from which
> it was formulated.  Also, the ideas on the Wiki are just ideas
> to plant a few seeds of creativity; you are also welcome use
> your own unique idea as the basis of your proposal.
>
> Mike

Sure. I will make sure that I will give my best in giving the
ideas and also work accordingly for implementing them too.

Venu